Monday, July 28, 2008

Yellow-Belly Chicken

So, my doctor's appointment is this evening at 1615. I'm going to go, do my ultrasound, see just how fat I really am... blah, blah, blah - all the usual stuff. Though, after much contemplation and a large dose of reality (I'll explain) I'm not going to try to turn my rotten, stubborn child today.

Although I've been on bedrest, I had to work Saturday night (1900-0700) in the NICU. My doctor said that as long as I took it easy and sat down a lot that I could go in. So I did. Low and behold, one of my babies, who was delievered two days prior, was the exact same gestation as MY baby. This was a little creepy. I have seen a ton of babies in the NICU; some of them have been 26-27 weekers weighing in at just over a pound and others have been 38-39 weekers who are big and fat, but are having some troubles. But this time, it was weird - I looked at this baby and thought to myself, "That could be my baby," referring to the fact that if we tried to turn him today and something went awry, that is what my baby would look like, essentially.

I thought about it during the whole shift and all day Sunday. I just can't do it. Not at this point. I would feel too guilty if something happened. I know that I'm getting closer and closer to my due date, but I just can't try to turn him today knowing that there is a possibility that I could deliver him today.

So we are going to sit tight and see what my baby wants to do. In theory, he could turn on his own; if he does not (I'm not counting on it...plan for the worst, hope for the best) then we'll go from there. But today, we're going to have a lovely doctor's appointment, see our son, take his measurements - I wonder how big he his, because I feel enormous! - and leave him alone. We'll keep you all posted.

1 comment:

Berkley said...

That seems like the safest option--definitely the best for him. I hope everything goes okay. I know it's probably impossible for you not to worry about things, but I hope you're doing okay. I'm sure everything is going to be just fine.